Student Financial Assistance Program: Ruth Fine Memorial Student Loans*
Throughout her career, Ruth Fine served as a mentor to budding librarians and encouraged talented, service-oriented people to enter the field of library and information service, especially in the public sector. She was also a leader in the library field, serving as President of DCLA from 1963 to 1964. Learn more about Ruth Fine here.
In 2000, Miss Fine left a generous bequest to the DCLA Student Loan Fund to assist future librarians. The interest from the bequest, supplemented by contributions from DCLA members, has been used each year since 2002 to award at least two $5,000 no-interest loans for library school students. The amount was raised to $6,000 per loan beginning in 2010.
To qualify for this no-interest loan, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
Loans are awarded based on commitment to pursuing a professional career in the library/information science field, academic background, previous work experience, and financial need. Preference will be given to Washington, D.C., residents, or someone employed in the District of Columbia, but awards have been made to members who live, work, or study in the Washington Metropolitan Area as well.
- Be attending a university in an ALA-accredited program of library and/or information science
- Be a member of the DC Library Association (current student membership is free)
- Submit a statement of professional goals, including why the library/information science field was chosen
- Provide two letters of recommendation. A reference from a current DCLA member is preferred for one of the two letters.
- Submit a statement of financial need which shows sources of income, expenses and grants, scholarships, or other loans or financial awards for education
- Submit an official letter from the university admissions officer verifying enrollment in a degree program
- Have never received a DCLA student loan previously
· *The loan may be forgiven upon evidence of superior academic achievement (3.0 or better GPA) for the twelve (12) months of study following the award.
Deadline: All applications and supporting materials for the 2013 loan must by postmarked or e-mailed to email@example.com by midnight by Monday, April 15, 2013. Below are links to the application and recommendation forms.
Please contact Abby Yochelson, (Chair, DCLA Student Financial Assistance Committee) at 202-707-2138 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about the Ruth Fine Memorial Student Loans.
Past Student Loan Recipients